Welcome to Dixie Land Guide Dog Users Online, and Top Dog-2019!
We Dixie Land Guide Dog Users are the South Carolina affiliate of Guide Dog Users, Inc. Our tails are wagging in anticipation of Top Dog-2019! Our friends at Georgia Guide Dog Users and Guide Dog Users of Florida are joining with us to bring the Southeast Regional Top Dog Workshops back home to Charleston, SC! Scroll down for more information, to learn more about us and find out how you, too, can join the team!
We provide education for the sighted community and peer mentoring with advocacy for the blindness community (guide dog, cane and sighted guide users alike), while promoting one community at large.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Dixie Land Goes to Camp!
This VBS was designed especially for blind kids, who seldom have an opportunity to fully participate in church. The theme was "Seeing and Being God's Light". Kids shared music (with brailed lyrics), enjoyed devotions (in Braille and audio formats), acted out interactive Bible stories, went on a couple of outings (including a trip to Grace Church) and did other activities, all designed especially for them!
While the kids learned about God and brushed up on their independent living skills, they also were boosting their self-esteems and having lots of fun!
Scroll down thru the next three posts to view highlights from our participation in this special event!
Favorite Links and Resources
- Association for the Blind, Charleston, SC, proud sponsor of Dixie Land GDU!
- Charleston Pet Resort (a proud sponsor of Top Dog 2010!)
- Dragon Boat Charleston, proud sponsor of Dixie Land GDU!
- Gallant Hearts Guide Dog Center
- Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind Inc.
- Guide Dog Users of Florida, a Top Dog 2010 Sponsor!
- Guide Dog Users, Inc.
- Guide Dogs for the Blind
- Guide Dogs of America
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind
- Leader Dogs for the Blind
- Pilot Dogs
- Retina Consultants of Charleston, proud sponsor of Dixie Land GDU!
- Southeastern Guide Dogs, Inc.
- The Seeing Eye