July 27 thru 31, Dixie Land Guide Dog Users partnered with Music By Laurel Jean, along with Lakewood United Methodist Church, Lakewood, IL and Grace United Methodist Church, Charleston, SC to host a day-camp-style Vacation Bible School as part of Laurel Jean’s Children's Chaplaincy for blind youth. This event is called "Camp Lakewood", in honor of the Lakewood, IL UMC which presented Laurel with her first Braille Bible when she was a child, and continues to sponsor her Children’s Chaplaincy.
This VBS was designed especially for blind kids, who seldom have an opportunity to fully participate in church. The theme was "Seeing and Being God's Light". Kids shared music (with brailed lyrics), enjoyed devotions (in Braille and audio formats), acted out interactive Bible stories, went on a couple of outings (including a trip to Grace Church) and did other activities, all designed especially for them!
While the kids learned about God and brushed up on their independent living skills, they also were boosting their self-esteems and having lots of fun!
Scroll down thru the next three posts to view highlights from our participation in this special event!
Welcome to Dixie Land Guide Dog Users Online, and Top Dog-2019!
We Dixie Land Guide Dog Users are the South Carolina affiliate of Guide Dog Users, Inc. Our tails are wagging! Due to the amazing response to our Top Dog-Charleston, 2019, our event hotel is booked to capacity and we are no longer taking registrations. Our heartfelt thanks to all of our registered attendees! We can't wait to see you in January!
For those of you who cannot attend in person, keep those ears up and stay tuned for our recorded sessions to be announced!
Contact the Dixie Land Guide Team!
We provide education for the sighted community and peer mentoring with advocacy for the blindness community (guide dog, cane and sighted guide users alike), while promoting one community at large.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Favorite Links and Resources
- Association for the Blind, Charleston, SC, proud sponsor of Dixie Land GDU!
- Charleston Pet Resort (a proud sponsor of Top Dog 2010!)
- Dragon Boat Charleston, proud sponsor of Dixie Land GDU!
- Gallant Hearts Guide Dog Center
- Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind Inc.
- Guide Dog Users of Florida, a Top Dog 2010 Sponsor!
- Guide Dog Users, Inc.
- Guide Dogs for the Blind
- Guide Dogs of America
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind
- Leader Dogs for the Blind
- Pilot Dogs
- Retina Consultants of Charleston, proud sponsor of Dixie Land GDU!
- Southeastern Guide Dogs, Inc.
- The Seeing Eye
- The Dixie Land Guide Team
- Charleston, SC, United States
- Dixie Land Guide Dog Users is the South Carolina Affiliate of Guide Dog Users, Inc., the largest guide dog-related organization In the United States.
Post a Comment